An Exclusive Wildlife Experience
February 27 – March 4, 2022
This safari is intended as an add-on to our Tanzania workshop.
Amboseli lies close to the border between Kenya and Tanzania and is dominated by the continent’s highest mountain—Kilimanjaro. It has Africa’s highest density of elephants per square mile, as well as an exceptional diversity of wildlife.
Capped with snow and ascending into the clouds, Mt. Kilimanjaro soars to 19,340 feet and provides a stunning backdrop for our safari on private land adjacent to Amboseli National Park. The area has varied habitats with open plains, umbrella acacia woodland, and emerald green swamps, and surrounding marshlands created from the melting snows of Mt. Kilimanjaro. The open plains of the dry lake-bed give a desert-like appearance. But it is the springs that rim its eastern margins that act as magnets for the game we seek. Here, ostrich and oryx rear up out of the shimmering heat-like reflections, allowing for some of the most fabulous wildlife viewing and photography in all of East Africa.
We’re staying in comfort Muench-style at one of the best camps in the area, with all the expected amenities: amazing food, luxurious accommodations with en-suite facilities, and hot showers. Expect to be immersed in photography and safari from before sunup until after sunset. Everyone can expect to learn the finer points of wildlife photography and to refine “the art of seeing,” where you will work on improving your compositions. In the evenings and during downtimes, we will be working with you on image reviews and post-processing.
About the wildlife: This workshop offers significant opportunities for photographing wildlife, and while we do our best to maximize our wildlife encounters—based on past experiences, local knowledge, and the current conditions—we need to impress upon you that the wildlife really is wild and that we don’t control it.
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
February 27, 2022: At the end of our Tanzania Safari, from Arusha we will head to the Tanzania / Kenya border at Namanga, and after our border crossing have about a 90 minute drive to our camp in Amboseli National Park. We’ll arrive in the afternoon and get settled, and enjoy a nice dinner followed by post-processing.
February 28 – March 3, 2022: We are on safari in Amboseli. Each day we’ll arise before dawn, and after a quick cup of coffee or tea, we’ll head out on our morning game drive. We have our own private vehicles for this safari, with one row per guest, which means you will not miss the shot and you will have ample room for you and your gear. During this safari we not only will be photographing in Amboseli National Park, but on our private land as well, which is adjacent to the park. Here we have exclusive and unfettered access to the wildlife, we can go off-road and anywhere we like, and we can photograph from outside the vehicles as well.
March 4, 2022: We won’t waste this last day! We’ll be out on a game drive first thing in the morning, and again in the afternoon. After a full day, we’ll pack up in the late afternoon and take a short drive to the airstrip where our private charter will take us to Nairobi airport for our flights home.
Easy: You must be able to get in and out of the custom land cruisers, and ride for several hours on possibly bumpy terrain.
Arrive Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), Kilimanjaro, Tanzania anytime on February 18, 2022. Depart Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (NBO), Nairobi, Kenya after 9:00 PMon March 4, 2022.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $2,000 supplement.
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop
- All permits and park fees
- Internal flights during the workshop
- All transportation during the workshop
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides
- English speaking local guide throughout the workshop
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction
- Photographic guiding and instruction from Andy Williams
- Travel to Kilimanjaro, Tanzania and from Nairobi, Kenya.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical (required).
- Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $2,000 supplement.
- Your non-refundable deposit of $3,995 will hold your space in this workshop.
- Further non-refundable payment of $3,000 is due by August 1, 2021.
- The non-refundable balance is due not later than November 1, 2021.
- In addition to our standard Terms and Conditions, for this workshop all payments are non-refundable, and this is why we recommend comprehensive travel insurance including trip cancelation.
- Need special payment arrangements? No problem, just ask us.
“Andy was beyond hospitable and would have done everything possible to make certain that everyone was having a good time and had everything that they needed. Andy's outward personality and leadership is much appreciated. ”