Shoot Beautiful Seascapes, Print at Bay Photo
The Big Sur coastline is known for its beauty and drama. The land meets the sea in a series of stunning vistas. We’ll be visiting this amazing area at a great time for displaying the drama of Big Sur. We’ve designed our schedule to maximize the potential of this incredible region, with time to visit hidden treasures. This workshop features plenty of time shooting and critiquing images in our own private room, and during the last day and a half, we’ll spend time during the daylight hours in the digital darkroom at Bay Photo Lab—where you will learn our Lightroom workflow and prepare images for printing. Included will be free prints from Bay Photo, and big discounts on larger prints that you can order and have shipped home.
This is a great time for large swells in Big Sur, which create great conditions for capturing misty surf. Marc and Andy will be teaching techniques for making long exposures in bright light so that you can take full advantage of these conditions. You will also learn how to create dynamic black and white images from color files using Lightroom and/or Photoshop. We will also be teaching our favorite methods of creating HDR imagery.
We’ll spend time exploring many different beaches, capturing the intimate details of the coastline. Here, Marc and Andy will spend time at the beaches teaching composition, seeing and working with the light and subject and how to pre-visualize images before bringing out the camera.
You’ll want to bring a good selection of lenses to capture the variety of subject and light, including several neutral density filters to be used for crating long exposures of the dramatic surf. Check out our “What to bring” page.
Big Sur, California
April 5 - 10, 2016
Shooting landscapes is about reading the weather signs. This schedule is subject to change!
April 5, 2016
3:00 pm: meet and greet at Carmel Mission Inn
4:00 pm: visit local beach for sunset shoot
April 6, 2016
Sunrise shoot at Carmel Bay
Image review and critique
Sunset shoot near Carmel
April 7, 2016
Sunrise shoot at Garrapata State Beach
Image review and critique
Sunset shoot at Ragged Point
Dinner at Ragged Point
April 8, 2016
Sunrise shoot 17 Mile Drive
Checkout, Drive to Santa Cruz
Sunset shoot in Santa Cruz
April 9, 2016
Meet at Bay Photo Lab at 9:00am
Lightroom and printing class from 9:00-4:00 pm
Sunset shoot in Santa Cruz, wharf, surfers
Dinner on warf
April 10, 2016
Meet at Bay Photo Lab at 9:00 am
Lightroom and printing class from 9:00 am-12noon
Workshop concludes at 1:00pm.
On Saturday and Sunday, we’ll spend the daytime in the digital darkroom, at Bay Photo Lab. Marc and Andy take the mystery out of processing images as they share techniques mastered over 20+ years. You will learn how to: harness the power of Lightroom, develop your own eye and skills to make your own personal vision a reality. Our Lightroom workshop is not a boring how-to on the features, but rather it’s about learning how to think independently and create images that will take your breath away.
What you’ll learn:
- How to process images within Lightroom, specifically the Basic Panel
- Marc's unique use of the Tone curve and Histogram combination for making global edits.
- How to utilize the filters within Lightroom to make regional edits, such as the Graduated Filter.
- How Marc uses LR and Photoshop to make a round-trip workflow infusing the power of both programs.
- How to use Merge To 32-Bit for HDR, and other Plugins from Nik and Perfectly Clear in your workflow.
- How to prepare a file for print, including how to properly sharpen and apply noise reduction.
We’ll be staying in Scotts Valley, near Bay Photo, and just 10 minutes from Santa Cruz. We’ll shoot the Santa Cruz wharf, the beaches, and surfers on Saturday late afternoon and evening, and you can also go back on Sunday morning as well. Bay Photo is providing free prints to all attendees and significant discount on large prints (details coming) that you order during the workshop.
- Double occupancy lodging (Single available, just ask)
- All meals during the workshop
- Carpooling during the workshop
- Photographic guiding and instruction from two pros
- Image reviews, post-processing instruction
- Fun, inspiration and a great time!
What’s Not Included?
- Transportation from your home to Carmel, California and back, and during the workshop.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Anything else specifically not mentioned in "What's included" above.
Your deposit of $1,500 will hold your space in this workshop. The balance of $1,995 will be due not later than January 21, 2016.