The Best of East Greenland by Luxury Ship
August 28 – September 7, 2024
Greenland has some of the most picturesque landscapes you’ll ever see. With ten days on our purpose-built, just-the-right-small-size, luxurious expedition ship Polarfront, we will journey through the Scoresby Sund, photographing astonishing glaciers, mountains, and icebergs. We’ll fly over from Reykjavik, thus maximizing our time in the fjords.
We may see Arctic hare and muskox while taking one of our many walks onshore. We’ll anchor in just the right spots to photograph sunrise and sunset from shore, using tripods and filters, plus shooting handheld from the boat’s deck. With clear skies and good solar activity, we also have an excellent chance to photograph the northern lights.
When we’re not photographing or enjoying a fresh, gourmet meal—this is a French ship, after all!—we’ll review images and learn post-processing techniques. Bring your laptop and enjoy editing in the main salon, or read your favorite book and sip some hot tea while we sail to the next location.
Drones are welcome on this workshop and can be flown directly from the ship by skilled pilots. Your leaders will coordinate the flights from the deck with the ship crew.
Expect a group of like-minded photographers who want to work hard to “get the shot.” On this expedition, you can expect to fine-tune your “art of seeing” and improve your landscape photography skills.
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
August 28, 2024: Fly to Reykjavik, Iceland, on this day. We’ll meet for dinner and talk about the adventure ahead.
August 29, 2024: Early this morning, we’ll take our flight from Reykjavik City airport to Constable Point, Greenland. We will instruct you how and when to book this specific flight. On arrival, we will board Polarfront as soon as we can.
Constable Point is a very basic airstrip in the wilderness. This flight can be delayed by weather. We will constantly communicate with the airline to confirm details for this flight.
August 30 – September 6, 2024: Aboard Polarfront, we are cruising the waterways of East Greenland’s Scoresby Sund. Here are some of the highlights of our cruising itinerary. The exact route will depend on the sea, ice, and weather conditions:
- We may visit Ittoqqortoormiit, the most northerly settlement in East Greenland. Her 450 inhabitants make their living primarily by subsistence hunting of seals, narwhales, muskoxen, and polar bears. The quaint little houses dot the rocky slopes of south Liverpool Land with magnificent views of Kap Brewster and the Volquart Boons Coast to the south.
- Hekla Havn and the surrounding area
- Føhnfjord, with the basalt mountains of Gåseland on one side and the 2000 meter high granite cliffs of Milne Land on the other side. We will hopefully anchor in Harefjord, where we can explore the land.
- Øfjord, and then Jyttes Havn and Bear Islands, where again, we can possibly do some hikes on the land.
It is always possible to sight polar bears, but unlikely. We always recommend that everyone bring a 100-400mm lens, just in case!
September 7, 2024: Disembark the Polarfront. Then, we fly back to Iceland from Constable Point, Greenland, again on a specific flight we will instruct you to book. We’ll celebrate our expedition with an excellent meal tonight and overnight at our hotel in Reykjavik.
September 8, 2024: Flights home from Keflavik Airport anytime today.
Aboard the Polarfront
Our home for ten days and nine nights will be the M/V Polarfront. Built-in Norway and chartered by the Norwegian state for most of her life, Polarfront is a regular in the arctic. A former weather and research ship for the Norwegian Meteorological Institute, she was completely refitted in 2015 as an expedition ship. Although she now flies the French flag, she's still particularly well suited to the ice-covered polar waters of Greenland. Polarfront is fully stabilized—unique for this kind of ship—making for smooth sailing and a very comfortable experience.
Everything about Polarfront is clean, fresh, new, and luxurious. The cabins are beautifully appointed, and the French cuisine is delicious. There are numerous deck areas from which to photograph, as well as two zodiacs. Accommodations on Polarfront consist of six double cabins ranging in size from 18 to 25 square meters, with en-suite bathrooms.
There are three types of Cabins aboard Polarfront:
Cabin 9: Owner's Suite. 25 square meters, Queen bed, additional sofa bed, sitting area, private bathroom.
Cabins 1, 2, 5: Grand Suites. These cabins can be set up with 2 Twins or 1 Double Bed. Sitting area, private bathroom.
Cabins 3 and 4: Deluxe Suites. These cabins can be set up with 2 Twins or 1 Double Bed. Sitting area, private bathroom.
Moderate: You must be able to get in and out of Zodiacs and walk up to two miles on land.
Arrive Keflavík International Airport (KEF), Reykjavík, Iceland anytime on August 28, 2024. Flights out can be made anytime on September 8, 2024.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $500 supplement. (Hotel only.)
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop.
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides.
- Meals and lodging onboard the ship.
- Waterproof boots for shore excursions.
- Many hours of basic and advanced Lightroom instruction.
- Multiple image reviews and post-processing sessions.
- Naturalist lectures and presentations on board.
- Photographic guiding and instruction from 2 pros.
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction.
- Adventure, fun, inspiration, and a great time!
- Travel to and from Reykjavik, Iceland and additional flights from Reykjavik to Constable Point.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $500 supplement. (Hotel only.)
- Your non-refundable deposit will hold your space in this workshop.
- Further non-refundable payment is due by January 1, 2024.
- The non-refundable balance is due not later than May 1, 2024.
- The payment amounts are determined by your cabin choice.
- In addition to our standard Terms and Conditions, for this workshop all payments are non-refundable, and this is why we recommend comprehensive travel insurance including trip cancelation.
- While not expected, we do reserve the right to add a surcharge for possible fuel cost increases. This can happen even right up until the time of the expedition, but we try to get as much notice as possible.
- Need special payment arrangements? No problem, just ask us.
|Cabin Choice||Tuition||Deposit||Further Payment||Balance Payment|
|Cabins 3, 4, 5||$13,500||$4,500||$5,000||$4,000|
|Cabins 1, 2||$14,000||$5,000||$5,000||$4,000|
“I like the quality of services Muench Workshops provides, the kindness and integrity in which you provide it, the quality of knowledge and instruction your staff provides, and the places you go. Your business is worth supporting. ”
“Talor helped me learn a lot about my camera. I am a novice photographer and had limited understanding of some aspects of my camera and filters. She was able, very quickly, to help me adapt my system to the lighting and water conditions even though she was not very familiar with my particular camera. ”