The Best of East Greenland by Luxury Yacht
September 8–18, 2022
Greenland has some of the most picturesque landscapes you’ll ever see. With nine days on our purpose-built, just-the-right-small-size, luxurious expedition ship Polarfront, we will journey through the Scoresby Sund, photographing astonishing glaciers, mountains, and icebergs. We’ll fly over from Reykjavik, thus maximizing our time in the Fjords.
We may see Arctic hare and muskox while taking one of our many walks onshore. We’ll anchor in just the right spots to photograph sunrise and sunset from shore, using tripods and filters, in addition to all the handheld work done from the deck of the boat. With clear skies and good solar activity, we have an excellent chance to photograph the northern lights as well.
When we’re not photographing or enjoying a fresh, gourmet meal—this is a French ship, after all!—we’ll be reviewing images and learning post-processing techniques. Bring your laptop and enjoy editing in the main salon, or simply read your favorite book and sip on some hot tea while we’re sailing to the next location.
Expect a group of like-minded photographers who will want to work hard to “get the shot.” You can expect to fine-tune your “art of seeing” and improve your landscape photography skills on this expedition with Marc Muench and Bjarne Riesto.
About the wildlife: This workshop offers significant opportunities for photographing wildlife, and while we do our best to maximize our wildlife encounters—based on past experiences, local knowledge, and the current conditions—we need to impress upon you that the wildlife really is wild and that we don’t control it.
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
September 8, 2022: Fly from your home and arrive in Reykjavik, Iceland, this day. We’ll meet for dinner, and talk about the adventure ahead.
September 9, 2022: Early this morning, we’ll take our flight from Reykjavik City airport (RKV) to Constable Point, Greenland. This is a specific flight for you to book, which we will tell you about. On arrival, we will board Polarfront as soon as we can.
September 10–16, 2022: Aboard Polarfront, cruising the waterways of East Greenland’s Scoresby Sund. Here are some of the highlights of our cruising itinerary, the exact route will depend on sea, ice, and weather conditions:
- We’ll visit Ittoqqortoormiit, the most northerly settlement in East Greenland. Her 450 inhabitants make their living mostly by subsistence hunting of seals, narwhale, muskoxen, and polar bear. The quaint little houses dot the rocky slopes of south Liverpool Land with magnificent views of Kap Brewster and the Volquart Boons Coast to the south.
- Hekla Havn and surrounding area
- Føhnfjord, with the basalt mountains of Gåseland on one side and the 2000 meter high granite cliffs of Milne Land on the other side. We will hopefully anchor in Harefjord where we can do some land explorations.
- Øfjord, and then Jyttes Havn and Bear Islands where again we can possibly do some hikes on the land.
September 17, 2022: We fly back to Iceland from Constable Point, Greenland, again on a specific flight that we will advise you to book. We’ll celebrate our expedition with an excellent meal tonight, and overnight at our hotel in Reykjavik.
September 18, 2022: Workshop concludes after breakfast. Flights home from Keflavik Airport (KEF) anytime today.
Aboard the Polarfront
Our home for nine days and eight nights will be the M/V Polarfront. Built in Norway and chartered by the Norwegian state for most of her life, Polarfront is a regular in the Great North. A former weather and research ship for the Norwegian Meteorological Institute, she was completely refitted in 2015 as an expedition ship. Although she now flies the French flag, she's still particularly well suited to the ice-covered polar waters of Greenland. Polarfront is fully stabilized—unique for this kind of ship—making for smooth sailing and a very comfortable experience.
Everything about Polarfront is clean, fresh, new, and luxurious. The cabins are beautifully appointed, and the French cuisine is delicious. There are numerous deck areas from which to photograph, as well as two zodiacs. Accommodations on Polarfront consist of six double cabins ranging in size from 18 to 25 square meters, with en-suite bathrooms.
There are three types of Cabins aboard Polarfront:
$13,500 per person Cabin 9: Owner's Suite. 25 square meters, Queen bed, additional sofa bed, sitting area, private bathroom.
$13,000 per person Cabins 1, 2, 5: Grand Suites. These cabins can be set up with 2 Twins or 1 Double Bed. Sitting area, private bathroom.
$12,500 per person Cabins 3 and 4: Deluxe Suites. These cabins can be set up with 2 Twins or 1 Double Bed. Sitting area, private bathroom.
Easy: You must be able to get in and out of Zodiacs, and walk up to 2 miles on land.
Arrive Keflavík International Airport (KEF), Reykjavík, Iceland anytime on September 8, 2022. Flights out can be made anytime on September 18, 2022.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $500 supplement. Reykjavik hotel only.
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop
- All permits and park fees
- Internal flights during the workshop
- All transportation during the workshop
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides
- Meals and lodging onboard the ship
- Multiple image reviews and post-processing sessions
- English speaking local guide throughout the workshop
- Photographic guiding and instruction from 2 pros
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction
- Adventure, fun, inspiration, and a great time!
- Travel to and from Reykjavík, Iceland.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $500 supplement.
- Your non-refundable deposit will hold your space in this workshop.
- Further non-refundable payment is due by February 1, 2022.
- The non-refundable balance is due not later than May 1, 2022.
- They payment amounts are determined by your cabin choice.
- In addition to our standard Terms and Conditions, for this workshop all payments are non-refundable, and this is why we recommend comprehensive travel insurance including trip cancelation.
- Need special payment arrangements? No problem, just ask us.
|Cabin Choice||Tuition||Deposit||Further Payment||Balance Payment|
|Cabins 3, 4, 5||$12,500||$4,500||$5,000||$3,000|
|Cabins 1, 2||$13,000||$4,500||$5,000||$3,500|
“As hoped for, we filled every hour of every day with either photography or instruction. I can see that Marc really loves to teach and I was impressed by his unending patience to teach composition and to answer all of the questions that come from a group with a wide range of experience. ”