Photograph Exotic Birds in a Remote Location
November 11–18, 2023
Photograph the astounding array of birdlife in the Falkland Islands on this remote expedition. Albatrosses, shearwaters, petrels, geese, Falkland steamer ducks, wrens, penguins, and even the predator, the striated caracara, all live in and around the Falkland Islands. There have been over 220 species spotted in the area, and we plan on spending seven days focused on photographing as many as possible in the unusually scenic locations of the Falkland Islands.
This workshop will be for photographers who love capturing intriguing birds, penguins, and seals in scenic locations that are difficult to access. On white sandy beaches, and steep rocky cliffs, you’ll photograph king, gentoo, Magellanic, and southern rockhopper penguins, black-browed albatross colonies, and southern elephant seals.
This is a unique opportunity to visit these very remote locations. The accommodations are modest and owned by very welcoming locals eager to show you the beauty of their homeland. Our pro photographer, accompanied by a local guide, will lead you to all the locations and share their knowledge of the birds and areas.
This is a small group of only six participants and two leaders, so there will be no crowds.
This workshop is an extension of our Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica expedition. For those joining that expedition, you will embark on our expedition ship in Stanley to continue the journey to South Georgia and Antarctica. There is also a weekly flight leaving back to Punta Arenas, Chile, if you are not continuing on the expedition.
About the wildlife: This workshop offers significant opportunities for photographing wildlife, and while we do our best to maximize our wildlife encounters—based on past experiences, local knowledge, and the current conditions—we need to impress upon you that the wildlife really is wild and that we don’t control it.
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
November 10, 2023: Arrive anytime in Punta Arenas, Chile. We will share exact flight details to book for your flight to the Falkland Islands and can help you with a hotel recommendation for this night. We will meet as a group and prepare you for the first day of the workshop including flying to the Falkland Islands around noon the following day.
November 11, 2023: Our group flies from Punta Arenas to Stanley in the Falkland Islands. After arrival, we catch a regional flight to Saunders Island, where our local hosts pick us up in Land Rovers and take us to their guest house. Photography is only a short walk away from the guest house. We’ll plan to photograph rockhopper penguins and albatross.
November 12–13, 2023: We’ll begin this day with a short walk to a beautiful sunrise location to photograph Magellanic penguins. After breakfast, we’ll drive to a new area called The Neck, where many penguins and birds are on and above a white sand beach with tropical-colored waters beyond. We’ll spend two nights here, taking advantage of the beautiful setting in various light conditions to capture the wildlife.
November 14–17, 2023: After a sunrise shoot and breakfast, we’ll get a ride to the airstrip to board a plane to Sea Lion Island. The flight to the beautiful remote island is short, and our comfortable lodge will be waiting for us.
We’ll spend three nights here, giving us plenty of time to enjoy the wildlife and scenery. There are locations within walking distance from the lodge, but the locals will take us to a unique site to photograph the rockhopper penguins. In addition, there are elephant seals and possibly whales to photograph.
After lunch on the 17th, we’ll pack up and take a short regional flight back to Port Stanley. We’ll then be transported to our lodge called Malvina House.
November 18, 2023: Sunrise photography shoot at a location near town. After lunch, you will either transfer to embark on our ship, the Polar Pioneer, or fly back to Punta Arenas, Chile. Contact us for details if you are returning on this flight.
Moderate: Short walks in uneven terrain and possibly windy conditions.
Arrive RAF Mount Pleasant (MPN), British Overseas Territory of Falkland Islands before 1:00 PM on November 11, 2023. Depart Ushuaia – Malvinas Argentinas International Airport (USH), Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego after 11:00 AM on December 8, 2023.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $250 supplement. (Sea Lion Lodge only)
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop
- All permits and park fees
- Internal flights during the workshop
- All transportation during the workshop
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides
- English speaking local guide throughout the workshop
- Photographic guiding and instruction from Jeff Wendorff
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction
- Adventure, fun, inspiration, and a great time!
- Travel to British Overseas Territory of Falkland Islands and from Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical (required).
- Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $250 supplement. (Sea Lion Lodge only)
- Your non-refundable deposit of $3,995 will hold your space in this workshop.
- Further non-refundable payment of $3,000 is due by April 1, 2023.
- The non-refundable balance is due not later than August 1, 2023.
- In addition to our standard Terms and Conditions, for this workshop all payments are non-refundable, and this is why we recommend comprehensive travel insurance including trip cancelation.
- Need special payment arrangements? No problem, just ask us.
“All the "above and beyond" effort Muench Workshops puts into making sure every detail is covered and everyone feels special, as well as putting us right in the middle of the action, makes every adventure worth every penny :). ”
“The trip to the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica was certainly worth the wait. It was an incredible experience. I loved every minute. Thanks for all you do for putting together such a trip. ”