Soar Over Epic Landscapes in a Helicopter
August 7–14, 2023
To describe Iceland’s Highlands requires many superlatives. The region contains Europe’s largest glacier, Vatnajökull, Iceland’s tallest mountain, and some of Iceland’s most active volcanoes: Hekla, Eyjafjallajökull, and Katla. The Highlands are also home to many other notable peaks, as well as moss-covered passes, mighty waterfalls, ancient basalt formations, wildlife-rich oases, and unique vegetation.
We’ll have our own private helicopter, as well as a super jeep, to get us way off the beaten path. Bring your camera, bring your drone, bring your tripod, they’ll all get used! We’ll be flying over braided rivers, volcanic craters, and high-altitude lakes, then hiking to waterfalls and geologic formations. With such a high instructor-to-guest ratio, there will be plenty of time for individualized attention.
We’ll be staying at a comfortable hotel that is very close to our photography destinations. When not photographing, we’ll take time for our signature image reviews, critiques, and post-processing instruction.
This workshop has a minimum requirement of 6 guests.
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
August 7, 2023: Meet at our hotel in Reykjavik for dinner and a review of logistics for the week ahead.
August 8–12, 2023: We’ll be staying at a hotel close to the landscapes we wish to capture from the helicopter. We’ll be photographing from the helicopter and a super jeep at different times. Our priority will be to use the helicopter for our allocated time each day, making sure everyone gets equal time and great shots. Everyone will have a window seat, allowing maximum opportunity to capture images. Everyone will be harnessed in the helicopter at all times, will have a headset to communicate during the flight, and will be taught the proper techniques for achieving the best results from the helicopter. The flight time from the hotel to our selected photography locations is only minutes, allowing for maximum efficiency of our purchased air time. We will also fly to locations where we’ll disembark and photograph waterfalls, rivers, and remote vantage points. For the times when we’re not flying, either due to poor weather or limited air time, we’ll have access to transportation via super jeep. Each day will include one-on-one image reviews as well as lessons in the field on camera settings and techniques.
August 13, 2023: We’ll photograph the sunrise, weather permitting, then we’ll make our way back to Reykjavik for our final group dinner.
August 14, 2023: The workshop concludes after breakfast, and flights home can be scheduled for any time today.
Moderate: You must be able to do short walks from jeep and helicopter only when not in the air flying
Arrive Keflavík International Airport (KEF), Reykjavík, Iceland before 3:00 PM on August 7, 2023. Flights out can be made anytime on August 14, 2023.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $1,750 supplement.
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop
- All permits and park fees
- All transportation during the workshop
- All helicopter charters
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides
- English speaking local guide throughout the workshop
- Photographic guiding and instruction from 2 pros
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction
- Adventure, fun, inspiration, and a great time!
- Travel to and from Reykjavík, Iceland.
- While not expected, we do reserve the right to add a surcharge for possible fuel cost increases. This can happen even right up until the time of the expedition, but we try to get as much notice as possible.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $1,750 supplement.
- Your non-refundable deposit of $5,995 will hold your space in this workshop.
- Further non-refundable payment of $6,000 is due by January 1, 2023.
- The non-refundable balance is due not later than May 1, 2023.
- In addition to our standard Terms and Conditions, for this workshop all payments are non-refundable, and this is why we recommend comprehensive travel insurance including trip cancelation.
- Need special payment arrangements? No problem, just ask us.
“Randy is not only a professional photographer but also an excellent instructor. He made sure that I and all the attendees were learning something new and got answes to all of our questions. I would definitely take another workshop with him. I gained a lot of information about post-processing and I am happy with how my photos are now processed. ”
“I went to the workshop to learn about landscapes. I actually learned how to be a better photographer. ”
“Wow! I am still saying that after 6+ months! Great workshop! We had many photographic opportunities with great backgrounds and good lighting. Marc is an top notch instructor. Since we were on safari location, Marc met with each of us and provided critiques, etc. individually. ”