Sublime Landscapes in the Canadian Rockies
June 20 – 25, 2024
Lake O’Hara is a photographic jewel nestled in the towering peaks of the Canadian Rockies. Experience one of the world’s most beautiful locations on this very exclusive workshop.
During the early summer, the wildflowers are just beginning to bloom, snow is still clinging to the high peaks, and the days are long. This is an unusual opportunity to experience a secluded mountain alpine environment with a small group of only six guests.
You’ll be up early and working in the low light of the northern dusk and dawn when the light is soft and colorful. You’ll learn new methods of improving the images you capture and how to better express your vision. No matter your expertise in photography, this workshop will take your photography to the next level. Connect with nature and have a great time with leaders dedicated to giving you an outstanding experience. We’ve also reserved plenty of time for our signature image reviews and post-processing instruction.
The Lake O’Hara lodge has a fantastic dining room where we’ll have excellent meals. We will stay in log cabins along the edge of the lake, including a private bathroom. Bring your hiking boots and poles, as we’ll be venturing out on the beautiful trails surrounding this valley that make it unique. We’re also sure there will be times you’ll simply want to sit on your porch and take in the beauty.
Management does not guarantee our start date until Feb, 2024. We will notify you of any changes at that time.
Muench Workshops donates a portion of the proceeds from this workshop to the Lake O’Hara Trails Club in support of its local conservancy and trail stewardship.
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
June 20, 2024: Meet at Calgary airport at 1:00 PM for a ride to our lodge in Canmore. Check-in, dinner, and orientation.
June 21–24, 2024: Early breakfast, then drive to Lake O’Hara trailhead to catch the private bus to the lodge. We’ll spend the following days exploring this fantastic alpine wonderland, photographing the spectacular mountains and lakes in the early morning through late at night. We’ll spend days hiking some surrounding trails and photographing ponds, waterfalls, lakes, and steep, rugged mountains.
June 25, 2024: Early sunrise shoot followed by breakfast. After loading all our gear in the bus, we’ll make our final ride back down the dirt road to the trailhead, where we’ll be met with our private van and taken to Calgary for flights home.
Challenging: The elevation of the lake is 7,000 feet. Daily hikes up to five miles with an elevation gain of up to 1,000 feet.
Arrive Calgary International Airport (YYC), Calgary, Alberta before 1:00 PM on June 20, 2024. Flights out can be made after 6:00 PM on June 25, 2024. Air travel delays are common. Please arrive early, possibly even the day prior, so you don’t miss any of the workshop.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $275 supplement. (Single rooming only available for one night in Canmore. Cabins at Lake O’Hara are shared.)
- All permits and park fees.
- All transportation during the workshop.
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides.
- Photographic guiding and instruction from 2 pros.
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction.
- Travel to and from Calgary, Alberta.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $275 supplement.(Single rooming only available for one night at Mountaineer Lodge.Cabins at Lake O’Hara are shared.)
“I expected amazing vistas, but the hiking was beyond expectations, and the food and service at Lake O’Hara Lodge were splendid. I felt really pampered there. ”