Himba Tribes and Desert Adapted Wildlife in the Hoanib Valley
August 3–7, 2022
This is an extension to our July 2022 Namibia Safari.
In a country jam-packed with vast, spectacularly beautiful landscapes, Kaokoland may just be the most incredible of them all. Deep in north-western Namibia, the area is filled with towering mountains, sand dunes, and vast expanses of desert, scattered with unique wildlife and the nomadic Himba settlements. It’s also one of Namibia’s most remote, wild environments that few will get the opportunity to experience in a lifetime. Our camp is an elegant, intimate affair that will immerse you in the wilds of the desert. Its rooms blend seamlessly with the environment, offering a simple aesthetic that matches the rugged landscape down to a tee.
Andy Williams and Richard Bernabe will share photography techniques on portraiture, landscapes, and wildlife, help you create incredible images, and have loads of fun too! We’ll feature our signature image reviews and post-processing instruction, of course. This extension to our Namibia Safari is all-inclusive, so you don’t have to worry about paying for anything, so you can focus on photography and the magic of wild Namibia.
About the wildlife: This workshop offers significant opportunities for photographing wildlife, and while we do our best to maximize our wildlife encounters—based on past experiences, local knowledge, and the current conditions—we need to impress upon you that the wildlife really is wild and that we don’t control it.
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
August 3, 2022: This morning we have a short drive to the nearby airstrip to board the light aircraft flight to one of the remotest parts of Kaokoland. Our guides will meet you on arrival at the Orutjandja Airstrip and for transfer through the scenic landscapes to the secluded Hoanib Valley Camp, a joint venture between the local community and the Giraffe Conservation Foundation. Afternoon at leisure, with the option to head out on a walk or nature drive, if desired.
Hoanib Valley’s six guest tents blend almost entirely into the rugged environment. The tents’ design is inspired by the Hoanib—the rich ochre of the dunes, the geometric patterns of the Himba people, and the giraffe that inspired the project.
August 3–6, 2022: The Hoanib Valley Camp is our home base as we learn about the Giraffe Conservation Foundation and the cutting-edge giraffe research being conducted in this area. Your local lodge guides will also take you to visit local Himba communities, one of the last remote tribes in Namibia. You will learn about the customs and traditions of this very proud nation and will gain insight into their beliefs, way of life, and everyday routine. Taking images of the Himba Tribes is one of the most gratifying environmental portraiture moments in photography.
August 6, 2022: Scenic transfer back to the Orutjandja Airstrip after breakfast. Private charter flight back to Windhoek, and a final dinner at a favorite restaurant.
August 7, 2022: Today you will be transferred out to the Windhoek International Airport in time to check-in for your onward flight.
Moderate: You must be able to handle drives in Land Cruisers, and get in/out of Land Cruisers. We also have hikes of up to 1 mile in sand.
Arrive Hosea Kutako International Airport (WDH), Windhoek, Namibia anytime on August 2, 2022. Flights out can be made anytime on August 7, 2022.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $1,500 supplement.
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop
- All permits and park fees
- Internal flights during the workshop
- All transportation during the workshop
- English speaking local guide throughout the workshop
- Photographic guiding and instruction from 2 pros
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction
- Adventure, fun, inspiration, and a great time!
- Travel to and from Windhoek, Namibia.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $1,500 supplement.
- Your non-refundable deposit of $2,995 will hold your space in this workshop.
- The non-refundable balance is due not later than April 1, 2022.
- In addition to our standard Terms and Conditions, for this workshop all payments are non-refundable, and this is why we recommend comprehensive travel insurance including trip cancelation.
- Need special payment arrangements? No problem, just ask us.
“It exceeded my expectations. I really enjoyed the workshop. Richard has an enormous amount of knowledge and he explains things clearly. He is very good at giving critique and I would love to learn more from him. ”