Arctic Landscapes and Northern Lights
January 21 – 30, 2024
Join us along the Arctic Circle to photograph Norway’s dramatic Lofoten Islands and Senja Peninsula! Winter in Northern Norway is a magical experience, especially at night when the aurora curls in the sky and reflects on the sea. Our Muench pros and local guides know all the vantage points to get you the best shots!
We’ll photograph jagged mountain peaks in and around Lofoten and Senja, and icy fjords, frozen lakes, rocky seacoasts, white sand beaches, and rustic fishing villages will also be on display. With luck, and weather permitting, we will be treated to some of the best northern lights on the planet.
You’ll also learn techniques for high dynamic range shooting, panoramas, long exposures during the day (and night!), and star and aurora imagery. Our priority is photography, so expect to be in the field plenty! We will also feature our much-loved image reviews and post-processing instruction with Lightroom. Ready for a winter wonderland? Let’s go!
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
January 21, 2024: We will meet as a group in the airport in Leknes and drive about an hour south to our base in the beautiful fishing village of Sakrisøy in the heart of Lofoten.
January 22–23, 2024: We’ll begin taking advantage of the amazing low light—the arctic days are short, but the twilight and dawn last for hours, and the quality of light is amazing. In addition, if the skies are clear and the Northern lights come out, we stay up even longer! Some of our shooting locations will include: HamnøyVestvågøya bright sand and crystal clear water make Haukland one of the most beautiful in Norway, and we’ll explore the rocks along the shore at Utakleiv. Hamnøy is a small fishing village, we’ll have numerous opportunities within steps of our accommodations. Olstind is a great viewpoint for sunrise. Sunset at Å—this one-letter village is beautiful, and it’s at the southern end of the Lofoten Archipelago. More beaches and seacoast—Flakstadoy-Skagsanden, Ramberg, Yttersand, and Myrland.
January 24–25, 2024: After our morning shoot and breakfast, we’ll head back north one hour to Leknes, where we’ll spend two nights at some of the most beautiful beaches in Lofoten.
January 26, 2024: We’ll spend the morning and afternoon photographing the nearby beaches. An early dinner and then we drive to the airport in Leknes to board a Wideroe flight (ticket included) to Tromsø and onward to Senja.
January 27–29, 2024: We’ll spend the next three days exploring and photographing the aurora, snowy landscapes, and rugged coastlines with quaint fishing villages along the fjords of Senja.
January 29, 2024: We return this evening to Tromsø, photographing the beautiful beaches along the way.
January 30, 2024: After breakfast the workshop concludes and everyone will catch flights home.
Moderate: You must be able to walk in the snow and on icy surfaces with spikes and handle very cold temperatures day and night.
Arrive Leknes Airport (LKN), Leknes, Norway before 1:00 PM on January 21, 2024. Depart Tromsø Airport, Langnes (TOS), Tromsø, Norway after 4:00 PM on January 30, 2024.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $1,250 supplement.
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop.
- All permits and park fees.
- Internal flights during the workshop.
- All transportation during the workshop.
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides.
- Photographic guiding and instruction from 2 pros.
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction.
- Adventure, fun, inspiration, and a great time!
- Travel to Leknes, Norway and from Tromsø, Norway.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $1,250 supplement.
- Your deposit of $3,995 will hold your space in this workshop.
- Further payment of $3,000 is due by June 1, 2023.
- The balance is due not later than October 1, 2023.
- All of our standard Terms and Conditions apply.
- Need special payment arrangements? No problem, just ask us.
“Cody’s experience with the territory was invaluable. Both of the instructors were of high caliber as far as photography knowledge, experience organizing, conducting, and attention to details. ”
“I wasn’t really sure what to expect as this was my first travel photo workshop. But it was truly beyond my expectations! I was most impressed with the professionalism and helpful attitude of the instructors. I felt like they always had an eye out for us and wanted us to take the best photos but without hovering or dictating what to do. ”