Arctic Landscapes and Northern Lights
January 31 – February 9, 2024
Join us along the Arctic Circle to photograph Norway’s dramatic Lofoten Islands and Senja Peninsula! Winter in Northern Norway is a magical experience, especially at night when the aurora curls in the sky and reflects on the sea. Our Muench pros and local guides know all the vantage points to get you the best shots!
We’ll photograph jagged mountain peaks in and around Lofoten and Senja, and icy fjords, frozen lakes, rocky seacoasts, white sand beaches, and rustic fishing villages will also be on display. With luck, and weather permitting, we will be treated to some of the best northern lights on the planet.
You’ll also learn techniques for high dynamic range shooting, panoramas, long exposures during the day (and night!), and star and aurora imagery. Our priority is photography, so expect to be in the field plenty! We will also feature our much-loved image reviews and post-processing instruction with Lightroom. Ready for a winter wonderland? Let’s go!
Our itinerary is planned—but we are always prepared to change things up based on weather and light conditions. Of course, at night we’ll be on watch for northern lights, and you can count on being awakened the instant we find them!
January 31, 2024: We will meet as a group in our hotel in the center of Tromsø, Norway. After an introduction and a hot meal, we’ll pack up for our next days’ adventure to drive to Senja.
February 1–4, 2024: Up early to drive to the fjords of Senja, where we’ll spend the next three nights exploring and photographing the aurora, snowy landscapes, and rugged coastlines with quaint fishing villages.
On the last morning, we’ll drive back to Tromsø to board an evening flight south to Leknes. Often, the northern lights are visible on this flight!
February 5, 2024: Morning shoot on the beaches near Leknes, breakfast, and then we’ll be out again photographing more frozen beaches and steep snow-covered mountains along the coast.
February 6–9, 2024: After another night of capturing northern lights along the beaches near Leknes, we’ll sleep in a bit, have a great hot breakfast, then pack up and drive down into the heart of the Lofoten Islands to Sakrisøy.
We’ll have three nights to photograph in and around the picturesque village of Reine and Hamnøy. We’ll visit the rocks along the shore at Utakleiv, Flakstadoy-Skagsanden, Ramberg, Yttersand, and Myrland.
February 9, 2024: On our final morning, after a hot breakfast, we’ll create our last images before packing up and driving to Leknes for flights home.
Moderate: You must be able to walk in the snow and on icy surfaces with spikes and handle very cold temperatures day and night.
Arrive Tromsø Airport, Langnes (TOS), Tromsø, Norway anytime on January 31, 2024. Depart Leknes Airport (LKN), Leknes, Norway after 1:30 PM on February 9, 2024.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $1,250 supplement.
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop.
- All permits and park fees.
- Internal flights during the workshop.
- All transportation during the workshop.
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides.
- Photographic guiding and instruction from 2 pros.
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction.
- Adventure, fun, inspiration, and a great time!
- Travel to Tromsø, Norway and from Leknes, Norway.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $1,250 supplement.
- Your deposit of $3,995 will hold your space in this workshop.
- Further payment of $3,000 is due by July 1, 2023.
- The balance is due not later than October 1, 2023.
- All of our standard Terms and Conditions apply.
- Need special payment arrangements? No problem, just ask us.
“I wasn’t really sure what to expect as this was my first travel photo workshop. But it was truly beyond my expectations! I was most impressed with the professionalism and helpful attitude of the instructors. I felt like they always had an eye out for us and wanted us to take the best photos but without hovering or dictating what to do. ”
“Cody’s experience with the territory was invaluable. Both of the instructors were of high caliber as far as photography knowledge, experience organizing, conducting, and attention to details. ”