Los Glaciares National Park, Mt Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre
December 8–13, 2023
Join us in the fabled Patagonia region! Located at the southern end of the Andes, and encompassing the deserts, pampas, and grasslands to the east, Patagonia offers a wealth of landscape photography opportunities. Expect dramatic mountains, glaciers, alpine forests, rolling foothills, and more! Wildlife also abounds, and we’ll take time to photograph that as well. We’ll be visiting the 2,800 square mile Los Glaciares National Park, with it’s iconic views of Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre, then moving on to the birdlife-rich Laguna Nimez Natural Reserve and Perito Moreno Glacier.
This workshop is designed to link up with our Falklands, South Georgia & Antarctica workshop.
This itinerary is subject to change due to weather, local conditions, and other factors.
December 8, 2023: We’ll transfer early from Ushuaia to El Calafate, arriving around noon. We’ll then make the scenic drive to El Chaltén, with a few stops along the way to enjoy the views. We’ll be staying at the Destino Sur Hotel in El Chaltén for three nights, so you can unpack and enjoy the spectacular view from your hotel room.
December 9–11, 2023: These days in El Chaltén offer us a great chance to explore the northern area of Los Glaciares National Park, where Mt Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre are located. December is when the southern summer starts, flowers are at the peak of their bloom, and birds are nesting or feeding their chicks. At dawn and dusk, we’ll be hiking towards the base camps to gain varied perspectives on the mountains and the forest.
December 11–12, 2023: After a morning shoot, we’ll depart El Chaltén for El Calafate this morning, where we’ll stay for the remaining two nights at the Los Alamos Hotel. We’ll be visiting the Laguna Nimez Natural Reserve to photograph some of the 70+ species of birds that call this area home: upland geese, silvery grebes, large groups of flamingos, black-necked swans, black-faced ibis, lapwings, ducks red-gartered coots, sparrows, and chimangos. We’ll also take a boat ride to the Perito Moreno Glacier.
December 13, 2023: Transfer to El Calafate airport. Flights home can be made for anytime after noon today.
Moderate: Most shooting is from within a few hundred meters of the vehicle. There is one optional hike that is a few miles and is 2-3 hours of difficult uphill climbing in the dark.
Arrive Comandante Armando Tola International Airport (FTE), El Calafate before 1:00 PM on December 8, 2023. Flights out can be made anytime on December 13, 2023.
What to Bring
Please see our page How To Prepare For Your Workshop. We will send you a detailed information document 90 days before your workshop. This document will include specifics of where and when to meet, gear and clothing recommendations, and more.
- Double occupancy lodging. Single available for $1,000 supplement.
- All meals, soft drinks, and snacks during the workshop
- All permits and park fees
- All transportation during the workshop
- Tips for crew, drivers, and local guides
- English speaking local guide throughout the workshop
- Photographic guiding and instruction from 2 pros
- Image reviews and post-processing instruction
- Adventure, fun, inspiration, and a great time!
- Travel to and from El Calafate.
- Passport and visa fees (if applicable).
- Any meals or accommodations before or after the workshop dates.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Medical Evacuation Insurance (required).
- Travel Medical (required).
- Trip Cancellation Insurance (optional, but recommended).
- Anything else specifically not listed as included.
- Single rooming available for $1,000 supplement.
“I just finished up an amazing photography workshop with Muench Workshop. The lead photographers Wayne Suggs and Kevin Lisota were amazing in their guidance to composition in the field and setting as needed. The classroom time for preparing for our landscape, astrophotography and our post editing education was top notch. I encourage you to check them out and all the wonderful workshops that Muench Workshops offers. ”